Differentiated instruction is described by Hall, Strangman, and Meyer as teaching students of “differing abilities in the same class.” Teaching should be concept and goal motivated, but the “degree of complexity should be adjusted to suit diverse learners.” The authors discuss flexible grouping and students working together in small groups. I felt this reading was excellent. I have found myself using differentiated instruction in instrumental music for grades 1-4. I have many levels of ability in my classes. When some students have learned a piano or recorder piece, they work in groups and help others learn the musical pieces. If all students kept working on the same music, some would become bored if the music was too easy for them. The article mentions students having “choices in their learning.” I feel if the student is given a choice, that student will take more ownership of the activity. Hall, Strangman, and Meyer also talk about using digital resources when implementing the Universal Design of Learning (UDL) theory. This digital equipment has the flexibility to modify the needs of individual learners, and this is very valuable asset, especially for people with special needs. The article mentioned providing students with “multiple media and formats” for learning. I believe teaching with multiple formats and media is important when considering the diverse skills, backgrounds, and personalities that are found in a classroom.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Differentiated Instruction and Implications for UDL Implementation
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree with you regarding your comment on choice. I always tell my students that "choice is power!"
ReplyDelete