When I took my graduate research classes this past year, I was told that if I utilize someone else’s work, I need to cite that source. I feel the same rules should apply to digital information. I believe it is alright to use the information, but if it is not my work, I have a professional and ethical responsibility to cite the owner’s work. In the schools, I believe emphasis is placed on citing sources in a research paper. I don’t think enough importance, however, is placed on citing digital information. For instance, in my computer class last semester, many students were copying “may be subject to copyright” images of the Titanic and placing in their power point presentations. I cannot speculate if people were citing their sources, but I sincerely doubt it since the teacher did not request it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment