This article states that there are some advantages to having an online curriculum. One advantage is having varied and up to date materials. I remember a comment that the professional development picture writing instructor made at a workshop this past week at Perley. She analyzed a social studies book. In her opinion, the book was very “dry”, and had no voice since it was written by twenty one people. The topics in the book needed to be supplemented by other sources.
Another advantage of an online curriculum is that it could enhance the education of both students and teachers. “Best practices and lesson plans” could be shared by teachers. I think this is an excellent thought. I wish this sharing of ideas could be experienced more in the music area of my school corporation.
I did have a concern after reading this article. The risks of unregulated editing is mentioned, and also the hope of attracting the expertise of enough teacher to “police” the others. How can the regulation be accomplished? How can we make sure the online curriculum is meeting the standards?
Good points. I think on line curriculum is risky. Of course I am very partial to books and am very biased in these opinions.
ReplyDelete